Crumlin defeat Ballinteer St Johns in Dublin GAA Division 1 hurling match

July 25, 2012

Ballinteer Saint Johns welcomed Crumlin to Marlay Park for a Saturday evening clash in Division 1 of the Dublin adult hurling league and in the end a goal would separate the sides in a match that could well determine the relegation prospects of both sides. The home side got the better start when James Kennedy knocked over a point from an early attack and it seemed that the advantage could have been doubled had defender Jack Gilligan's breaking run out of defence resulted in a shot that split the posts. Crumlin opened the scoring with a point of their own through a converted free from full forward Wes O' Brien from a central position; indeed O'Brien would get good practice from this position throughout the match as the majority of Johns' fouls would occur from positions in front of their own goal. At a point apiece Ballinteer had the first goal opportunity when Gilligan made another impressive run from defence to supply ball to Ciaran Lane in the forwards. Lane's run had helped him lose his marker and with possession on the edge of the square an opening goal seemed highly likely. Crumlin's goalkeeper, wearing number 12, Bill McCormack had read the move and cut the angle well to thwart Lane's effort at the expense of a 65'.

Joe Maher stepped up to take the 65' but drove the effort in low only for McCormack to clear the ball; Crumlin , however failed to fully clear the ball and a foul on Feargal Chambers resulted in a free to Johns for another Maher effort that this time tailed wide. Another good run from defence by Gilligan again found Lane who this time laid the ball off to Maher for a run at the goal; Maher won a penalty after a Crumlin defender was adjudged to have fouled him while he made his run but the resulting penalty was stopped by the keeper. Both sides went on to exchange bad wides before Maher made an impressive solo run before tapping over to edge Johns ahead. Crumlin were now settled into the match and would typify their performance with a superior ability to win primary possession from puckouts; none was this more evident than when Crumlin's number 11 Shane Martin seized the sliotar from the resulting puckout only to be impeded. Wes O'Brien stepped up and converted the free to level the score. Crumlin's Centre Back Colm Hennebry made an impressive catch from the resulting puckout and found half forward Rodney Elliot with his pass before a Johns player committed the foul to give full forward O'Brien more shooting practice although this effort went wide.

Scores from play during this period of the match were at a premium and the highlight of the opening exchanges was an excellent evasive solo run by Maher that resulted in a point. Indeed, combined with his free taking, Maher was proving the main attacking outlet for Johns during this spell of play and had helped move Ballinteer into a 0-5 vs 0-3 lead. Despite the early pressure Crumlin were proving solid in defence and Hennebry was excelling with some good fielding to clear danger on more than one occasion. Elliot latched on to one such clearance only to be dragged down by his marker on front of the posts which O'Brien duly dispatched. Ballinteer were then dealt a blow when a speculative long ball from Crumlin whizzed past defenders and forwards alike and found the back of the net. Ballinteer's response was impressive with pointed frees coming from Maher and Oisin Power thus levelling the scores. Johns now had a good opportunity to go ahead when Crumlin defender John Lennon's good run out of defence was deemed to have been overcarried; Maher's free from a central position was hit in low and cleared by Crumlin.

Crumlin again edged in front with an impressive long range point from midfielder Kevin Byrne followed by a point from Crumlin's other midfielder Conor Murphy following a nice solo run involving an assist from Shane Martin. Johns notched up another wide before a decent interception from Power led to a Ciaran Lane point. However Crumlin would finish off the half with another converted free from O'Brien from a central position. Half Time: Ballinteer Saint Johns 0-8 Crumlin 1-7

The second half continued in a similar vein with more nip and tuck action between the teams. Crumlin would remain ahead for most of the match although Ballinteer levelled things up with about ten minutes to go through an Oisin Power free. At 0-15 vs 1-12 it seemed a draw might be on the cards although Crumlin again pulled away with successive points from Byrne and full forward O'Brien. With the sides seperated by a goal going into the final seconds Ballinteer's chances of getting something from the match were scuppered when Power's low drive from a close range free was cleared by the Crumlin defence. Full Time: Ballinteer Saint Johns 0-16 Crumlin 1-16


Ballinteer Starting line up


  1. S. Lane

  2. R. Collins

  3. C. O'Brien

  4. M. O'Meachair

  5. J. Gilligan

  6. K Nolan

  7. F. MacGabhann

  8. J. Kennedy

  9. E. McKeon

  10. F. Chambers

  11. C. Walsh

  12. O. Power

  13. C. Lane

  14. R. Donnelly

  15. J. Maher


Crumlin Starting line up


  1. B. McCormack

  2. J. Forrester

  3. J. Lennon

  4. J. Maher

  5. P. Devlin

  6. C. Hennebry

  7. P. O'Brien

  8. K. Byrne

  9. C. Murphy

  10. P. Elliot

  11. S. Martin

  12. R. Elliot

  13. J. Comerford

  14. W. O'Brien

  15. A. Comerford

January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December (1)
January February (1) March April May (1) June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December
January February March April May June July August September October November December